And here we go with another week of Slow Cooker Sunday! Thanks again for Chrissie from Slow Cooker Queen and Mediocre Mum for letting me taking over her slow cooker recipe linky.This weekly linky runs from 9am Sunday until 12pm Friday.
What you need to know
Write up your slow cooker recipe, there’s a badge to add to your post (get the code from the sidebar) and don’t forget to add the link to this post.Add your link here, I’ll share your recipe on Twitter, FB, G+ and Pinterest.Let others know that you’ve joined the linky by sharing the link to my post and tag me so I can reshare it.
Do take time to visit others who have taken part in the spirit of making friends in the blogger community.
The one thing I’ve learnt with slow cooking and that’s vegetarian meals work well in the slow cooker.The flavours in this slow cooker vegetarian chilli recipe aren’t too overpowering but the slow cooking process allows the spices to cook out, so you’re not left with a bitter powder after taste.The sweet corn cornbread topping soaks up all the thick liquid, which the kids really love beans and the cornbread topping.I served this with plain rice and as here was loads of this I froze what was left after serving up.
- 2 cans of red kidney beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp crushed chillies
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 medium leek
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 400g mixed vegetables such as potatoes, carrots and parsnips (use what's in season)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 440g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- salt and black pepper
- For the cornbread topping:
- 250g fine cornmeal
- 2 tbsp wholemeal flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk lightly beaten (I used Orgran egg replacement as my son has an allergy)
- A small can of sweetcorn, lightly mashed
- 1/2 pint milk
- Put canned beans into the slow cooker pot a along with 1 pint of water and switch the slow cooker to high.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion, leek, celery and pepper and cook for 7-8 minutes.Add the garlic, cumin, crushed chillies, paprika and marjoram and cook for 1 minute.Tip into the pot and stir along with the bay leaf.
- Prepare the vegetables cutting them into chunks and them to the mixture, making sure vegetables such as potatoes and parsnips are at the bottom so that they that don’t discolour.Cover with the lid and cook for 3 hours or until the beans are tender.
- Add the stock cube and chopped tomatoes to the cooking pot, then stir in the tomato puree and season with salt and black pepper.Replace the lid and cook for a further 30 minutes until the mixture is at boiling point.
- Now make the topping, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt and mashed sweet corn.Make a well in centre and add the egg, egg yolk and milk.Mix, then spoon over the bean mixture.Cover and cook for 1 hour, or until the topping is firm and cooked.I served this slow cooker vegetarian mixed-bean chili with cornbread topping with rice and guacamole.
I hope you have been inspired by this slow cooker vegetarian chilli recipe.Do you have any old or new great slow cooker recipes to add to the Slow Cooker Sunday linky?