I love lemon curd.I love the tangy lemon sensation on your tongue and the smell that just invigorates all your senses.I’ve made it in the microwave when I was training as a chef and it’s much tastier than the claggy stuff that is sold in supermarkets.Then I made some slow cooker lemon curd, and it has had me fall in love with it again.But it does need to be eaten within 3 weeks but I’m sure that won’t be a problem.As I’ve now becoming more vegan this the one thing I have really, really missed.But as I’ve discovered, it’s not about being a perfect vegan, it’s about being more animal aware.
- 100g butter
- Finely grated rind and juice of 4 lemons
- 450g golden caster sugar
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- Gently heat the butter in a saucepan and add the lemon rind, juice and sugar to it, making sure you're stirring all the time until the sugar dissolves.Leave it to cool.
- Stir the eggs into cooled mixture.Strain into a 1.2 litre/2 pt pudding bowl or soufflé dish.Cover securely with foil and stand in the slow cooker.Pour sufficient water around the bowl so the water comes half way up the sides of the slow cooker.
- Replace lid and cook on low for 3-4 1/2 hours.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars and cover with wax disc.Once cold put on the cellophane disc and elastic band.Or use a screw lid.