After posting the recipe for slow cooker lemon curd over the weekend, I thought I’d share this recipe for lemon curd cupcakes.These lemon curd cupcakes have a sneaky little surprise under the lemon frosting, which lends to many adaptations of this recipe.You could use chocolate spread with a chocolate frosting, strawberry jam with a pink frosting, chocolate cupcakes with a white chocolate frosting middle then chocolate frosting topping.The possibilities, as they say are endless.
If you are going to use shop bought lemon curd, make sure sure you take the required amount out and give it a good mix in a bowl to loosen it up.I recommend doing this with anything like marmalade or jams when adding them to any cake or biscuit etc recipe.I love eating these with Earl Grey tea on a Summer’s afternoon but they would make the perfect star bake at any tea party, along with Otilia’s gorgeous Red Velvet Cupcakes.
- Makes 12 lemony cupcakes
- 120g plain flour
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest, plus extra to decorate (from about 2 lemons)
- 40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons of lemon curd (I used my home made slow cooker lemon curd)
- Lemon frosting
- 250g icing sugar, sifted
- 80g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons of grated lemon zest
- 2 drops of yellow food colouring
- 25ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3.Put 12 paper cupcake cases into a 12 holed cupcake tin.
- In a bowl put the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and butter and mix using an electrical mixer or hand mixer until it's a sandy texture.Carefully add the milk until just mixed.
- Add the egg and continue to mix until it's smooth, do not over mix.Make sure you scrape down the sides in-between mixing.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases up to 2/3 full.Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool remove the centre carefully using a apple corer, making sure you don't go through to the bottom.Keep the sponge circles.
- Spoon in the lemon curd and replace the sponge circles.
- To make the lemon frosting, beat together the icing sugar, butter, food colouring and lemon zest using an electrical hand whisk on high.Once it comes together, turn it down and slowly add the milk.Turn up to high again and beat for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Spoon the lemon frosting on top and decorate with lemon zest.